- Last Updated on 24 July 2012
- Hits: 769
24 July 2012
EU agrees to lift Sanctions on Zimbabwe
· The European Union yesterday the 23rd of July 2012 agreed to lift most sanctions against Zimbabwe firms and individuals once the country has held "a peaceful and credible" vote on a new constitution.
· The EU agreed that a peaceful and credible constitutional referendum will represent an important an important milestone in the preparation for democratic elections that will justify a suspension of the majority of all EU tar geted restrictive measures against individuals.
· The EU said they will start sending aid directly to Zimbabwe from 2014, a move that is set to improve prosper ity to the Zimbabwean people currently under a transitional government.
· The Coalition calls upon the Inclusive Government to prioritize the process of removing the sanctions placed on the people of Zimbabwe through draconian laws, selective application of the law, political violence and intimida tion and the fettering of free expression, speech and political activity.