Crisis in Zimbabwe Coalition is a conglomeration of more than 350 civic society organisations. It was originally conceived in August 2001 as a collective response by Zimbabwean civics to the multi-faceted crisis of governance and legitimacy. The Coalition operates under seven committees, Advocacy, Information, Peace building, Women and Gender, Arts and Culture, Youth as well as Human Rights. Its objectives are;
- To respond timeously to government position regarding various key policy areas
- To share ideas and information for use by Civil Society Organisations (CSO) in the articulation of credible, alternative and practical views
- To ensure the rapid development of democratic governance in Zimbabwe
- To amplify the collective voice of Civil Society in Zimbabwe
- To cover issues which would otherwise not fall within the mandate of the major CSOs
- To highlight, debate, research and propose solutions to the multilayered national crisis
- To Enhance Civil Society's capacity to deal with the socio-economic and political crises, through encouraging well co-ordinated strategic planning and action.
- To promote freedom and democratic values through encouraging dialogue, tolerance and the shaping of ideas by Zimbabweans from all walks of life.
The Coalition Values
- Justice and peace
- Equality of all citizens
- Mutual respect and support
- Transparency, integrity & accountability
- Commitment to the principle & Action of human rights